Where did all the joy go as people grow up?
As a child we enjoyed life.
When we grew up there seems to be less and less reason to smile and laugh, to have fun and enjoy life.
"So I hated life, for the work which had been done under the sun was grievous to me; because everything is futility and striving after wind."
This could not be a more accurate description of how I feel. School sucks, ministry sucks, life sucks, there is barely any time to spend with friends, I don't know how to have fun, and it's so damn discouraging not seeing people's lives transformed. Everything just sucks the life out of you.
Where did the joy go God?
Ya man. I got that feeling in EA and it was the worst. I was even seeing my teammates' friends being transformed like this one week especially, but I was not feeling joy I was getting this terrible feeling of uselessness and worthlessness. Psalm 51 came to mind. "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation and grant me a steadfast spirit to sustain me". I prayed and sang that all evening and the next day knowing that God is the one who brings us joy and that it's all from Him. So, I just asked him to change my attitude and help me to really see the way He does. God goes after that one lost sheep and throws a huge party in heaven when they turn back. Remember not to rely on the feelings, but the facts. But ask and God, our Father who loves to give us good gifts will give us the things we ask for in accordance with his will. Praying for you, man.
ReplyDeleteThanks brother!
ReplyDeleteHey,
ReplyDeleteThat's a great verse to remember in times like this.
I think we all feel like that once in a while. But I know for me, I wasn't able to feel true joy (for the longest time) until I dealt with something that I had hidden from God for far too long. It was only after he broke me and I fully surrender it to Him, was I able to truly joyful again.
But on a bit more of a random note, I saw this clip in class today and it definitely put a smile on my face. (it's a wee bit long, but it's worth watching to the end)
[Validation] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao
Thanks guys for the reminder to surrender to God and not depend on feelings. I realized today suffering is good, God is dealing with a lot of personal darkness that surfaces during this year, there is reason to rejoice even during suffering.
ReplyDeleteAnd that video really put a smile on my face = ) Thanks Bonnie!