Monday, November 4, 2013

Things I've learned, and am still learning

The gospel is a light shining in darkness
This is probably one of the hardest truths to accept about humanity. Because no one likes to admit they're as terrible and evil as the bible makes them out to be. But it's true, and the implications ought to drive me to pray, because my desire for respect and praise from others is a huge obstacle to being bold for the gospel, and contrary to a lot of evangelism methods, we ought to make it clear to people why Christ mattered, and that's because all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

There's an illustration that goes something like this: the light of the gospel is only seen against the backdrops of the darkness of the human heart, just as the stars are only seen against the night sky.

Being honest with God about my sins and screw ups and keep falling into the arms of Christ
This is related to the 1st point, but more personal. I am not special, just like everyone else I've sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, was enslaved to sin, satan, and his dominion, was a hater of God and righteousness.

The thing is, even though God saved me I cannot go on living in my own efforts. I've learned this the hard way. The most miserable times come when I don't take 1 John 1:9-10 seriously, then I will pretend I've never sinned, or even worse justifying my sins in my mind, which leads to further sinning. The only way is to admit my sins in prayer and ask for forgiveness, trusting in what God said in the bible about his promise to forgive.

Labouring is a pleasure/Ephesians 2:1-10 is true
I'm a lazy person who doesn't enjoy work, when I was lost I despised the thought of being a slave/servant of God, I would think "who in their right mind would call themselves a slave or a servant? Isn't it shameful?" neither did I find a purpose in all my works in school.

But now I think it's a pleasure to labour for Christ's kingdom, sharing the gospel/doing bible study with others and seeing them enlightened to the things of God is the most joyful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment